2 Gyár utca, Central Hungarian Innnovations Center
Solvo Biotechnology – “The Transporter Company” is a privately held biopharmaceutical company established in 1999 by a group of pre-eminent scientists working in the areas of ABC transporter proteins and multi-drug resistance at leading Hungarian universities. The company holds patents relating to drug targets and modulators, gene therapy applications and functional aspects of pharmacogenetics.
In the past few years there has been an explosion in our understanding of the role Membrane Transporters play in the ADMETox profiles of drug candidates at various pharmacological barriers and Transporter induced drug-drug interactions.
The comprehensive integration of various assays that are able to target Specific Transporters into HT screening platforms within Drug Discovery and Development is happening now!
Solvo Biotechnology has been the pioneer and the leader in the commercialization of Membrane Transporter technologies, including therapeutics, diagnostics and drug discovery assays. The company offers drug discovery products and services to pharmaceutical, biotechnology and consumer goods industries, relevant to many therapeutic areas and product categories. All major pharma and biotech companies use SOLVO’s assays, either in-house, or as contracted research.
By now, it is a common knowledge that efflux and various uptake transporters play a key role in the function of the Blood-Brain Barrier (BBB), the Blood-CSF barrier, the Blood-Testis barrier, the Intestinal epithelia (absorption), the Airway epithelia, the Liver epithelia and the Kidney epithelia. SOLVO products can be used to study the transport properties of these pharmacological barriers.
SOLVO’s mainstream products are its in vitro assay systems to detect the interaction of test compounds with a wide array of ABC Transporter proteins, and cell lines expressing various uptake transporter proteins used for in vitro ADME/Tox, oncology drug research and MDR modulating agent discovery.
SOLVO’s unique technology platform is built on our core capabilities:
• Expression of a wide array of human ABC transporters (MDR1, MDR2/3, MRP1, MRP2, MRP3, MRP4, MRP5, MRP6, MXR, BSEP and others) and rodent (rat, mouse) transporters in various expression systems (e.g. baculovirus-based insect cell);
• Functional characterization of proteins (ATPase, transport and binding data);
• Identification of new drug targets on ABC transporters;
• Development of various cell lines expressing a range of pharmacologically relevant uptake transporter proteins.
SOLVO Biotechnology provides four different solutions for ABC (xenobiotic) efflux and uptake transporter assays to be used in drug discovery:
• Membrane Preparations – to be used for ATPase Assay and Vesicular Transport Assay (direct uptake) measurements;
• Fee-For-Service Screening;
• Sublicense for the Calcein Assay;
• Custom-Made Expression and Screening Systems.
Moreover, SOLVO’s MultiDrugQuant(TM) Diagnostic Kit detects the level of multidrug resistance caused by both MDR1 and MRP1 activities in tumor cells in ex vivo clinical samples with flow cytometry. This kit is a unique phenotypic-diagnostic test to:
• Help drug developers select the appropriate patient sub-population for the drug – in clinical trials;
• Help physicians select the most effective chemotherapy for the patient and plan personalized treatment protocols = “Theranostics”;
• Help physicians monitor cancer disease progression.